With thanx to Wikipedia for the history supplied in this page.
Mt. Airy was established in 1830 and continued to develop throughout the decade, beginning with the construction of house settlements along Parr’s Ridge. A man named Henry Bussard built the first of these houses. This town was known for its train station on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) at Parr’s Ridge. The railroad ran from Baltimore to Frederick, two popular towns to the east and west, respectively, of Mt. Airy. Following 1830, the town received its official name after the suggestion of "Mount Airy" from an Irish B&O worker who complained about his freezing ears on a windy work day. Over the years, milling, canning and sewing industries initially helped support Mt. Airy’s economy.
The town’s proximity to the National Pike contributed to its growth. The National Pike was a road that ran west from Baltimore to Illinois. Beginning in the 1860s, Mt. Airy continued to grow as it became involved in the Civil War. By the 1890s, the town’s growth had increased significantly and three new churches were built (one Episcopal and two Methodist), along with a very important bridge, still standing and known by residents as the Twin Arch, that helped with railroad transportation. Three great fires (1903, 1914, and 1925) caused setbacks in growth, but the town rebuilt every time.
The Mount Airy Historic District that includes the railroad station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Currently, Mt. Airy is no longer economically dependent on the railroad, as citizens work a variety of different jobs. Mt. Airy hosts four annual events each year. These events include the Spring Fling in May, Flag Day in June, Festival on the Ridge in October, and Christmas in Olde Town in December. An all-volunteer staff of townspeople dedicates their time to work at each of these events.